What is a Body Exchange? An awakening within that drives you to be the BEST you can be, physically and emtionally. Courage does not come with the absense of fear but rather the ability to achieve your goals regardless.

Thursday 10 March 2011

Top 5 Tips for Facing The Weather and Getting Outdoors

I am sitting at my kitchen table writing this while it is raining so hard there is a low roar within my house as the rain pelts off my metal roof.  My old timer dog is starting to pant louder as the noise levels are starting to make him feel like thunder is coming soon.  Within my business I often hear, "I don't want to go outside, it's raining".  That is a bit of a problem if you live in the rain forest region of  Canada.  If you limit your outdoor activity to when it isn't raining that is almost half the year when you are not moving in fresh air.  If you are truly committed to something, outside circumstances should be secondary and at most a small blip in the day. As human beings are ancient heritage comes from living outdoors and living a nomadic lifestyle with constant movement and fresh air, this is actually the environment our bodies prefer.  So you can understand when you have been sitting indoors for 8 hours behind a desk why you may not feel that energized.  I found this quote recently and want to share it with you: 

 
We are built to conquer environment, solve problems, achieve goals, and we find no real satisfaction or happiness in life without obstacles to conquer and goals to achieve. 
Maxwell Maltz

 
Totally true for me.

 
So to get outdoors and truly enjoy our amazing city and all it has to offer at all times of the year,
these are My Top Five Tips

  1. Like any good Girl Scout, "BE PREPARED" owning a good, breathable jacket is a must.  If you are shopping locally, I recommend The Running Room. They go up to XXL, you may need to go into a men's but they do have larger sizes.
  2. Know, 100% that when you are finished your outdoor rec.  that you are going to feel amazing, alive and very pleased with yourself!
  3. Layer your clothing, the best materials are wicking material or wicking wool. Wear a ball cap to keep the rain off your face and something around your neck to prevent water running within your jacket.
  4. Get moving, once you are moving and breaking a sweat - you won't even notice the exterior moisture!
  5.  Plan outdoor fitness with a buddy, when the weather is not favorable having accountability is key!

 
Have a great day and GET OUT THERE!      I am off!

No comments:

Post a Comment